guy labs guy labs

Get rid of .DS_Store files on Mac OS X 10.10

After a long pause I have a new blog post about the annoying  .DS_Store  files which are generated by the built in Finder application in Mac OS X. First of all we need to close all Finder windows and then we execute the following commands inside a terminal:

This command disables the creation of the  .DS_Store  files on the following network drive types: SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, and WebDAV.

Next we need to install Asepsis. This tool redirects the creation of the .DS_Store  files to another folder such that the built in Finder is still able to save its meta data, and we do not have the .DS_Store  files in each folder anymore.

To install this application just download it from here and then execute the installer and then you need to restart the machine.

The next step is for the people which do not need the specific folder views for each folder etc. from the built in Finder, because with the following command we remove all the .DS_Store  files from the hard drive. After you have executed the command, the built in Finder has the default view on all folders.

After this step you will never find any .DS_Store  file again in any of your folders. I hope you find this post useful as it is a complete guide on how to “disable” the .DS_Store  files.

Cheers,

Guy

PS: For the ones asking themselves why I now write about Mac OS X topics: I recently needed to switch to Mac because there are some applications which we use at our company which just didn’t work on Ubuntu and were unstable inside a VM. So now I’m a Mac owner  😆

Update 18.01.2018

If you need to reset your Finder preferences you can execute the following snippet:

Thanks to Lewis for this hint. See https://twitter.com/ldexterldesign/status/953671357421760513 for the source and discussions.

48,026 total views, 8 views today

Share Post :

9 Comments

• Thierry
    December 12, 2014 12:28 AM at 12:28 AM

Mac owner? Shame on you :p

• guy
      December 12, 2014 6:01 AM at 6:01 AM

It’s just the company laptop. At home I still have a Ubuntu server ;).

• stan
    October 12, 2015 11:11 AM at 11:11 AM

Just wondering if you have a solution for under El Capitan. Thanks.

• guy
      October 13, 2015 3:32 PM at 3:32 PM

Hi Stan,

I think with El Capitan this is not possible anymore as they added the System Integrity Protection (SPI) and a lot of Finder add ons do not work anymore. Currently I use PathFinder as this has more features than the default Finder. So in short: I cannot give you a solution for El Capitan as Asepsis is no longer supporting El Capitan too.

Sorry for the bad news but as of El Capitan this won’t work anymore.

Regards,

Guy

• Blue
        October 21, 2015 1:32 AM at 1:32 AM

You can use an app like this app to delete metadata. This app removes files like this created by both Mac and Windows.

• Khaled Yassin
      February 8, 2016 5:22 PM at 5:22 PM

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool true

• Nimi
    March 9, 2016 2:04 AM at 2:04 AM

I tried:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool true

with el capitan. There really isn’t much I could complain about. Combined with homebrew
    mac os is more less more than suited for my needs. But this .DS_Store thing is a nuisance
    and I would wish to have adequate solution provided by… well apple. Because they would
    not break their own code like they did with asepsis right?

• Nimi
    March 9, 2016 2:08 AM at 2:08 AM

Ah sry somehow I forgot to type that

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool true

does not work for me. I’m still sitting on a load of .DS_Store and they reproduce like
    lil rabbits.

• guy
      March 11, 2016 10:59 PM at 10:59 PM

Yes this command is just for the network drives. So in El Capitan I now use Path Finder instead of the default finder. This will not create any .DS_Store files and it has a lot more features. So this post is just valid for OSX 10.10 as mentioned in the title. But thanks for your comments!

Regards,